Like all our recipes these granola bars are easy to make and by now you'll already have the ingredients in your pantry. Better in taste than store bought, these are nutrient dense, and lower in sugar. Granola bars/ energy bars come in so many varieties, but for now we'll start with a simple no bake homemade granola bar. Each basic ingredient comes with different options, so feel free to pick your favorites.
NO BAKE GRANOLA BARS
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup nut butter almond, peanut, sunflower seed
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw or roasted nuts hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans
- 1/2 cup dried fruit raisins, dates, cranberries. apricots, goji berries
- 1/4 cup seeds hemp hearts, flax seeds, sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrop
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt (if using unsalted almond butter)
- pumpkins seeds and sunflower seeds for topping (optional)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl except the seeds for the topping. It should form a loose dough. If you like a thicker dough you can add more nut butter. Spread the dough into a cake pan or container that is several inches deep. Sprinkle the top with seeds and press down the mixture using a piece of parchment paper (as it's quite sticky). Refrigerate at least one hour before enjoying.
The only catch with this recipe is that if it stays out of the fridge for too long it will loosen up and be prone to crumbling. I recommend keeping it in the fridge and cutting off pieces as needed. If you want to take a piece with you to go, wrap it in parchment paper.