This recipe came together one day when I only had bits and bobs left in the fridge and my pantry was running desperately low. I was looking to make a quick and healthy lunch and luckily had one can of cannellini beans stashed away. I think though, had I planned ahead, and soaked my own beans this recipe would be even better. It's perfect as a side to any meal or scooped over some greens, for a quick lunch like I did. What I love about this bean salad is how the lemon juice really brightens it up.
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans or 1 3/4 cups cooked dried beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2-3 celery stalks thinly sliced (inner stalks are even better, in which case use 4-5)
- 1/2 avocado diced
- handful of chopped cilantro basil, parsley, mint
- 1 small lemon
Put all of the ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and serve on a bed of massaged baby kale or other greens.